Here's a little photo collection from the last 3 weeks or so:
An early bloomer along the First Creek Trail.
The Conleys enjoying their first visit to Valley of Fire State Park.
The views there never get old.
This was up the right (north) drainage of Black Velvet Canyon. Tom and I worked on some new boulder problems back there.
Joshua Tree blooms.
Another one from First Creek. The rocks reminded me of Easter Eggs.
My buddy Bryan and I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather by getting up to climb at Clark Mountain. It requires a rugged 6 mile 4x4 road and an hour hike to get up to the Third Tier (aka The Monastery) but the rock and the insane views make it totally worth it. We found a handful of cows way back in the canyon. I wonder how the owners find them all?!
Oscar seemed to enjoy the views :-)
Looking southeast (towards the Mojave Preserve and Kelso Dunes) from the Third Tier.
Some of natures insane Zen gardens. My favorites.
Ridgelines in black and white.
Another friend of mine, Seth, on Jumbo Pumping Hate (14a). This is one's on my lifelist.
Then I went to Anchorage for two weeks to teach some IRATA courses. Luckily, my buddy Ben was around and willing to do some weekend adventuring!
On Saturday he took me out for my first backcountry snowboarding adventure at Hatcher's Pass, about an 1.5 from Anchorage. It was a warm and dry winter in Alaska but there was still enough snow left to ride! The whole area was unreal. I felt like I was in a snowboarding magazine :-)
His 11 year old pup, Chewy, is half lab and half husky. She had plenty of energy for our little hike and ride.
The little structures are from an old gold mining camp.
I kept looking around and could hardly believe the views. I kept thinking this looks just like, like... well, Alaska!
The snow was a little patchy in spots!
Now for the fun part! We had beacons, probes and shovels in case there was a slide. The forecast was low probability though and we had no issues. Still, we went one at a time in case there was trouble one person would be able to help. It was a lot different than riding in the resorts for sure!
Saturday night we stayed in Bens 16'x20' cabin he and a buddy built in the next valley over. No water or electricity but he had a wood stove and a gas cook top. The road in was still covered in snow so we had to walk in. We put our gear in a kids sled and dragged it the 1/4 mile to the cabin.
Ben splitting some wood for the night.
The awesome view out the large front window frames Castle Peak perfectly.
Getting the stove started. As you can see the inside is still a work in progress.
On Sunday we went sport climbing! Ben's cabin is strategically located 20 minutes from Anchorage's best sport climbing crag.
It was sunny and the cliff faces south so we were climbing in t shirts most of the day.
This is the view from the cliff! Maybe the best view from any sport cliff I've seen. LeAnna said she prefers the views of the Mediterranean in Kalymnos :-) I guess that's hard to argue...
On Friday I took the assessor, who was from Scotland, down to Girdwood, which is a pleasant 45 minute drive along the ocean. In Girdwood we took the tram to the top of Alyeska ski resort and had drinks and some food at their ritzy restaurant. This was the view from the patio.
The view from the Tramway.
That night we met up with Ben and his buddy Doug for dinner and another drink. This awesome bike was parked out front. I'd like to see how he gets on!
Next stop Greece! I'm not looking forward to getting back on an airplane, but I can't wait to see the Harrington-Patsika crew!!!!






























2 comments:
Great post, brother. I feel all caught up, now. That's so cool that you got to ride in the back country in Alaska! I can only imagine how gratifying it was to carve down an unmarked slope. Enjoy your time in Greece!
Nice post, Adam! One of your better trips to Alaska, seems like. Great pictures and I love that little cabin. Give my Greek kids lots and lots of love and enjoy every minute. Love you, Mom
Post a Comment