Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Some Anchorage Pics


I just got back from a week-long trip to Anchorage, Alaska.  I was teaching an introductory level rope access course at Remote Access Technology's Alaska training facility.  RAT does a lot of work in the gas and oil industry conducting inspections so there seems to be a steady stream of new inspection technicians to train.  Which is good because its a pretty good gig.  Anchorage is a really neat place, set on the Cook Inlet, known for some of the largest tides (30'+), and backed by the impressive Chugach Mountains.  When I was there the birch and aspen trees were perfectly golden; the first snows of the season had dusted the higher peaks.  

The first day, flying in, the weather was completely splitter and I could see Denali and Mt. Fowraker about 120 miles away in the distance!  Then rain set in for most of the week.  But, luckily I got one more day of nice weather on the afternoon of the day I left.  I took advantage with the most popular hike in the Anchorage area up Flattop Mountain.  The hike took about an hour and got progressively steeper and rockier the higher I got.  The pictures are all from that hike.  The views in every direction were incredible.  

On top, the winds were a steady 50 miles per hour, so I couldn't stay long.  I could barely take photos trying to keep steady long enough to get a shot.  I hung out as long as I could, jogged back down to the truck and drove to the airport feeling quite satisfied.  

My favorite photo of the group.












3 comments:

Karen and Pat said...

Adam- Pretty spectacular! I needed some new cloud pictures - thanks:-)

Ian said...

hey man, pretty sweet pics. i am super impressed. i can't believe you spent time in alaska; sick. see you at christmas.

K said...

Good stuff, man. I know you were pretty impressed with Dayton, but Anchorage must'a been neat, too. Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song, "He took out his knife and he gave it a throw. When it's springtime in Alaska, I'll be six feet below"