The Promised Land is a small limestone crag located in the La Madre limestone strata kind of behind and above the Red Rocks sandstone. I hiked up there yesterday with Robby, taking the scenic variation. Normally a 1 hour hike, we got off track in the wrong drainage and ended up hiking all over the place, finally reaching the base of the wall almost 2 1/2 hours after leaving the car, soaked and freezing from post-holing through melting snow (in tennis shoes and jeans) and bushwacking through scrub oak and manzanita...good times! Reminded me a bit of a day of firefighting (except without all the smoke!) Along the way I managed to slip and put my hand right into some prickly pear cactus and spent awhile picking spikes out of my fingertips so I could climb. Then it was so cold and windy we barely did anything anyways. Gotta love climbing! At least I got some exercise on the hike...
At any rate, the picture above is looking out on the backside of the Buffalo Wall and the one below is Spencer on one of the warm-up routes.
3 comments:
Ahh yes, expedition climbing. Miss those days. The critters are all good. Jonas is super happy because he's on a ground rabbit and potato diet and he loves the snow. We have about a foot of snow in our backyard right now. I'll put some pics of the inside of the house up this weekend. Et in Ithaca ego is a play on Et in Arcadia ego which is an oldish way of saying that we all are in or will return to paradise.
Hey Adam,
Have you considered working as a freelance photograper? Spectacular!
Love - Aunt B
Aunt Becky, thanks for the compliment, but the photos are definitely a testament to the technology and not the photographer in this case...I just turn it on and start pushing buttons! I wish I knew more!
Post a Comment