Thursday, August 20, 2015

Rattlesnake!

Here he is!  Yet another reminder that we live in the middle of the Mojave Desert.  I love this place - jack rabbits, lizards, tortoises, hummingbirds, coyotes, pack rats and now rattlesnakes!

Anyway, Oscar found him this morning while we were getting ready to go up to Charleston.  He sniffed him out and I heard the tell-tale rattle and Oscar was jumping back.  The rattlesnake was in the bush between the house and garage, pretty much out in the open.

After putting Oscar in the house, I took some photos and then tried to figure out what to do with him. At first I tried to pick him up with a shovel but he crawled into the bush and wound around some branches.  Then I remembered we had some tongs for picking stuff up off the ground.  After a couple of attempts I managed to grab him pretty close to his head and pull/lift him out of the bush and into a 20 gallon bucket.  I drove him about a mile up the road and into a wash away from the road and any trails and let him out under a nice mesquite tree.  I hope he likes his new home.  I also hope it was far enough away that he won't come back!

I haven't looked up what species he is yet.  If you have an idea, let me know.







3 comments:

Karen and Pat said...

Yikes!! I am glad they are not aggressive and that Oscar was not either! I have a hard time putting the appropriate enthusiasm into your find but I am glad for you. It would for sure make me VERY cautious!!

Karen and Pat said...

Yikes!! I am glad they are not aggressive and that Oscar was not either! I have a hard time putting the appropriate enthusiasm into your find but I am glad for you. It would for sure make me VERY cautious!!

Adam said...

Dad suggested Northern Mojave Rattlesnake and I'd have to agree. Also known as Mojave Green's.