Ashy Silktassel
This past week has been a bit rough. First, I banged up my leg snowboarding, then, two days later, I strained my lower back bouldering. I rested 3 days and was feeling pretty good when I strained it again, even worse than the first time. So, here I lay, on the floor, the only spot I can get comfortable. Now I'm just hoping I'll be able to walk by the time Mom and Dad come out on Wednesday.
Anyways, these first two photos are from snowboarding last Friday, on what was otherwise an amazing day, with some fresh snow and flurries all day.
The same system that brought snow to Mt. Charleston brought a good dose of rain to Red Rock. We'll take all we can get.
Hiking with Oscar and LeAnna. This is looking out to the east. Fossil Hill is the hill in the center and Blue Diamond is at the base. That's Highway 159 on the left. Our house is on the other side of Fossil Hill.
LeAnna showed me how to take a panoramic photo on my phone. This is of the western skyline from Fossil Hill. On the left is Mt. Potosi, then Mt. Wilson, then on the right side is Blue Diamond Hill. The village of Blue Diamond is near the bottom center.
This is looking to the east from the summit of Fossil Hill. This shot is kind of cool because you can see the skyline of the Strip up on the left and, if you know where to look, our house, as well. It's hard to describe, but just above the peak of the sunlit hill in the near foreground are a couple of white dots. The white dot to the left is our house. To the left of it, and across the highway is a cluster of buildings-that's Cactus Joe's.
Looking back to the west from Fossil Hill.
LeAnna hiking up Fossil Hill. Above LeAnna's head you can see signs of the surface mining from the old gypsum mine.
Lichen
Pool
Last light
Blue Diamond Cholla - only found in a few locations at the southern end of the Blue Diamond Hills.
Just a little guy. About the size of a thumbnail, this is may be a baby Mojave Kingcup














2 comments:
Think I had a kid in class a couple years ago named Ashy Silktassel. Are you lucky or unlucky to have your very own species of cholla; or as I like to think of them, the devil's navel lint. (In hindsight, I have no idea how to punctuate that sentence) I'm not a robot.
I sure hope my pictures of the desert look as spectacular as your pictures of the desert...
Love you! Take care of yourself. Would hate to have to take you out and about in a wheelbarrow.
mom
Post a Comment