Thursday, November 20, 2014

Oscar was generally unimpressed with my efforts to climb the boulder.


 

He a





Ash Springs Meadow

I'm back in Alaska now, but I wanted to share some photos from my last time home.
LeAnna and I had a great time on a couple of awesome mini-adventures.  For once my time off coincided with some of her long weekends!

The pictures are in reverse chronological order (of course).

Ash Meadows is at the northwest corner of Calico Basin, so hardly out of the way. We went up there to check out a new-ish cliff a friend of ours is developing. I hadn't been there in at least 4 years and LeAnna had maybe never been.  We won't make that mistake again!  The fall colours and desert background make for almost a surreal landscape.  One of the best spots to check out in the fall. 
The cliff was pretty cool too but it's gonna need some traffic to clean up a little.


These two photos (above and below) are from Icebox Canyon.  I went out there a couple times to work on a boulder problem called 'We Need Ice'.  I'd tried it a couple winters ago but could never figure out a couple key moves.  This time, however, I figured out all the moves and was able to do it in two overlapping parts after just one session.  I rested a couple days and let some skin grow back.  Next session I warmed up by doing sections of the problem and sent it first try of the day.  So psyched.  My first V11!



These three photos are from a day climbing at the Blue Diamond Cave.  It's not the best rock but it sure is cool climbing (almost) within view of our house.  It's a nice spot for cold winter days since it faces due south.



The view from the BD Cave.  A typical winter day in the Mojave Desert.


We also took a trip down to the hot springs downstream of the Hoover Dam.  It's about an hour drive and a 3 mile hike down a rad slot canyon.  I took my climbing shoes and bouldering pad this time and climbed some of the water polished volcanic walls along the hike down to the river and hot springs.
Oscar wasn't sure what to make of the hot springs but we eventually got him to come in the water a little.  It was pretty funny.







5 comments:

Karen and Pat said...

That is some beautiful scenery. Great photos as usual. We really have had some great luck with dogs in the family! Love, Dad

K said...

Lovely photos! Congrats on the V11. That's some major hardcore stuff! Very impressive. Your family looks great.

Unknown said...

i want so much to visit all these places of your photos!! can't wait to come there one day.i hope this day will be this summer! seems you had very nice timetogether and that you climb alot. Congratulation and from me on the V11!!

Eleftheria

Adam said...

Eleftheria, we can't wait to show you guys around! Lots of fun stuff. :-)

Sarah said...

Again i will say, i love your dog! Gorgeous pictures as always. Also on the to-do list whenever we get out there again... kayaking on that river! Looks awesome. How did Oscar do with the ladder at the hot springs? I think your dad said you have trained him to ride on your shoulders? Awesome.
Happy return home, hope you guys have a nice thanksgiving! We'll be thinking about you!
Congrats on your V11!