Monday, February 25, 2013

Winter in the Mojave


 A cold Chuckwalla on a very cold day.  I found this guy (girl?) while hiking up to check out a new cliff some friends are bolting.  It's about a two hour drive from Vegas followed by a burly hour hike uphill.  This chuckwalla was doing his best to find some sun but it ended up cold and cloudy all day.  





Here's LeAnna riding out at the Cottonwood trails behind Blue Diamond.  So nice out there!
 

This was a great ride on a cold day.  I've been having so much fun mountain biking this winter.  I found a new section of trail and almost got clothes-lined by the rubber-ducky-tree!


 

I really love this photo.  To me it's the essence of a winter day in the Mojave Desert.  This is the view from a small climbing area called the Kona Cave.  It faces directly south and blocks most wind - great for cold, clear days.


 

This is my XC bike and my new bike workstand.  Thanks Mom and Dad!

 
 



These are some petroglyphs in Windy Canyon, near the southern end of the Red Rock escarpment.
 

This is my friend Craig trying a V12 (Very Hard!) at Windy Canyon called 'The Lion's Share'


 

LeAnna and I went to Bishop a few weeks ago and had a mini Ohio climbers' reunion.  We met up with Brandon and Michele, Taylor and Shelley, Brian and Sandra and Chad... among other friends.  It was great to be back in Bishop since we hadn't been since 2010.  We made all the required stops:  hot springs, Black Sheep coffee, Galen Rowell Gallery, Schaat's Bakery and of course the Buttermilks, seen above.  We really love that place!
 

Here's me sending a classic V6 called 'Green Wall Center' with my buddy Taylor spotting.  Just like the old days at Cooper's Rock!


 
LeAnna posted a few more pics from this day on her blog but here's one more.  We went up to Charleston with the idea of snowshoeing up to the Raintree but ended up mostly taking the snowshoes for a hike since the snow wasn't so deep.  Beautiful day nonetheless!


 

A desert still-life.

Here's a little re-cap of the last two or three months I guess.  I've had some time off from Alaska and it's been amazing to feel like I live in Blue Diamond again.  Talk to you all soon!

5 comments:

Ian said...

boy oh boy. i am not sure that i could be much more envious. love your pics, they are super beautiful. i have started a crimp work-out regimen to see if i can't get ready for the new. hope we get some time to climb and hang-out this summer. love you miss you

Karen and Pat said...

Adam - nice to see your blog back up! Gorgeous pictures - always, but they sure look awesome on my new YOGA!! How's the new bike - did you ride? Love you :-)

Adam said...

@Ian- Me too buddy! Can't wait to hang out together again. Not sure where we'll end up but I'm sure it will be cool!

@Karen and Pat- Rode the new bike. I'll upload some photos of it soon. I'm still trying to dial in the rear suspension settings but so far it's great. Only went over the handlebars once so far!

Karen and Pat said...

Oh good...that's just what I wanted to hear. I told you, no falling down - that includes going over the handlebars and all other mishaps where you end up in a heap on the ground.

LeAnna said...

hahaha!