I just wanted to share a few photos from a short trip I took this past weekend. These are from the Highland Mountains just west of Pioche, Nevada, about 3.5 hours from Vegas. It's a pretty neat range and at 8500', one of the highest in the area. Best of all it's the ultimate lazy man's mountain-you can drive all the way to the top on an access road build for some radio/radar/cell towers/potential missile silos! I camped up there two nights while checking out some new (to me) limestone caves. Overall, the setting is five stars-remote, cool, and with stunning views! The climbing, on the other hand, only gets two stars-chossy, sharp and not enough holds. Still it was a fun adventure to get out of the heat and hang out in a really neat mountain range I'd never been to. When you start driving around Nevada (which I haven't done nearly enough of!) you begin to realize just how much there is to explore. That's probably my single favorite thing about living here.

Our campsite at 8500'. Down jackets in July!
The crag-impressive looking kitty litter.
Spencer looking for holds. Conclusion-"Nope"
Best thing about this place? The views to the valley floor some 4000' below.
Nevada-the most mountainous state in the country!
Yep, another cactus flower picture.
4 comments:
ok - 2 POSTS BEFORE WE GET OUR FIRST...Point made! You are right, the views are spectacular (and you are a better than average photographer). Assume LeAnna made it home? Looking forward to your next photo expose. Love to you both. Mom
i give these pictures a big WOW!!
nice. I need to make a mountain trip soon. The apex of a rock capped mountain is my favorite place on Earth.
I second LeAnna's BIG WOW!
Post a Comment