Monday, November 27, 2017

Cross country to Ohio and back

 Sedona, AZ

Photos in no particular order (Blogger-style).  
Total flight time was around 15 hours each way.  4 three hour legs and a two hour leg.  We flew 6 hrs the first and second day, and a shorter two hour leg to finish up the third day.

On the way to Ohio, I flew with my instructor Gary and we encountered quite a bit of interesting weather.  On the way back I flew solo and the weather, besides a fierce headwind most of the way, was mercifully calm and clear.  

Overall, it was an awesome experience that I'll cherish forever.  Due to the cost I can't foresee repeating it, which makes it that much more special.

 
New Mexico?


 New Mexico?

 The return flight.  I spent the night in Emporia, KS and Saint John, AZ

The flight to Ohio.  We stayed overnight in Liberal, KS and Indianapolis, IN

 First day, first leg.

 Westbound, passing over the Mississippi River.

 Emporia, KS.  They had a beautiful municipal airport with some cool old-timers hanging around.  The town was really neat too.  You could tell it was probably a happening place back in the day.

 Not sure.  Somewhere in Kansas most likely.  


 Some Apache attack helicopters in Dalhart, TX on the return trip.

 Cattle stockyard and what I can only assume is a pretty gnarly manure pond.

 Beautiful clouds over Oklahoma/Texas panhandle.

 New Mexico

 New Mexico, a little south of Albuquerque

 Also, New Mexico, I believe.

 The chariot: an Austrian-made Diamond Star DA40, from 2005.  It's primarily fiberglass construction, seats 4, flies at around 130 mph and carries 40 gallons of fuel.  It burns around 10 gallons/hour.  The engine, made by Lycoming, is a horizontally-opposed 4 cylinder. 

 Building clouds, eastbound over Missouri.

 Same.

 Flying over a low cloud-deck at 5500' over Missouri/Illinois

 Under the clouds in western Ohio.

 Dramatic and short-lived break in the clouds over Ohio.


 Made it!  Landed at 1G5 (Medina Municipal Airport) in rain and low clouds.


 Oklahoma/Texas/Kansas??

 Cool canyons in central Arizona.


 Sedona, AZ



 North of Prescott, AZ


Near Kingman, AZ

3 comments:

Karen and Pat said...

Adam... spectacular photo journey! What an experience...❤️

Patrick said...

What a great experience for you! Love the pictures and really enjoyed the surprise visit!

Karen and Pat said...

Adam, looked at your pictures again. I just loved the landforms. That was the coolest thing when we flew. Looking forward to the next adventure.