Monday, October 24, 2011

Alaska from above







These are a few photos from the Anchorage to Deadhorse flight.  I got lucky with a window seat and a somewhat rare clear day.  Unfortunately I was on the wrong side of the plane to get a shot of Denali.  The pictures are in order from South to North.  The last two are typical of the whole Prudhoe Bay.  It's like a frozen everglades.  By the end of my hitch everything was frozen and covered by about a foot of snow.  The coldest temperature I recorded was one night when it got down to 8 degrees F.  But the coldest working conditions were definitely when the winds were howling.  It was blowing a steady 40 miles an hour for one of the weeks I was up there!

The mountains are the Brooks Range which stretch about 700 miles from West to East and separate the interior of Alaska and the North Slope.

I don't know if you can really see it but this is the best shot I could get of the Aurora borealis.  It was much more impressive in person!

3 comments:

Ian said...

we are so excited to have you here next summer it seems a little silly. that climbing area is a great summer spot about 50 minutes from thessaloniki with climbs from 6b to 8b so bring your skills. you will have to go back to that state and explore when you don't have to work, it really looks incredible. miss you both. peace and love

Karen and Pat said...

Pretty awesome pix, Adam. Stark and beautiful. I heard that the Auroras were visible here last night! Of course, I didn't seem them...Hope all is well with you and LeAnna - talk to you soon.
Love, Mom

Karen and Pat said...

Adam - saw that it is -24 in Dead Horse!! That is mighty cold, buddy! Hope all is going OK. I am trying not to worry about you. Enjoyed LeAnna's last post. You look pretty stunning in your new glasses. I am really looking forward to seeing you. Don't forget that you said you'd come in and talk to my classes. You can change your mind - I'm just reminding you that we talked about it. Love you :-)