Thursday, September 8, 2011

Red Rock Sunrise


After working the night shift for a month, I've been having trouble re-adjusting to my normal sleep cycle (9pm to 9am :-)  and have been wide awake at 4am all this week.  So I get up and read, make LeAnna breakfast and coffee and generally get in her way and slow her down.  This morning, she called from her drive in (soon to be illegal in Clark County!  But you can still carry a gun in Wal-mart... what the freakin' heck!) and said the clouds were awesome this morning and I should go take some pictures. 

So I did just that.  The funny thing is I took a bunch of photos of the cliffs and ended up with not a whole lot that I really liked.  Finally the light got more washed out and I turned around and realized the sun was cresting right over the top of Blue Diamond hill (slated to become home to 7000 new houses, shopping and a school if Jim Rhodes has his way, never-mind the 20,000 homes currently sitting vacant in the Las Vegas valley) and highlighting the stand of Joshua trees.  The J-tree picture above was the first one I took.  I ended up taking a bunch more to improve the composition, sun-glare, etc. but it turned out the first was by far the best.  I just thought that was funny that my favorite picture was one I hadn't even thought of originally and then, after taking the shot, I couldn't even reproduce it (let alone improve upon it).  Just goes to show that, at least for me, a good picture is 90% luck, 5% camera, and 5% pointing the lens in the right direction.

3 comments:

Karen and Pat said...

Either fortunately or unfortunately7000 houses near Blue Diamond are far more desirable than any 20,000 in Vegas.
Great pictures as always.
Dad

Ian said...

hey man, you are on a roll. thank you so much for the comment on my blog and even though we have not been able to talk yet, it has been good to be in contact with you. can't wait to see you, love you much.

LeAnna said...

great photos! I'm not looking forward to you getting back into your normal schedule and having to make my own coffee and breakfast :(