Saturday, April 9, 2011

Some randomness from the past few weeks.

The last several weeks have been hectic to say the least.  Work, firefighter testing, Mom and Dad visiting and to top it off LeAnna's been dealing with shingles the last month or so, too.  Maybe that's not a lot for some people to deal with but I know, and have known, that I'm not cut out for that kind of activity level.  So stressful!  

I'm pretty sure my old soul was meant for some boy on some tropical island somewhere in the South Pacific.  A little fishing, maybe gather some coconuts, relax in the hammock.  Repeat.
Instead it's stuck here in modern America, in a complete state of shock, just trying to survive!
At any rate here are a few pics of some of the funner moments from the recent past.

Today I finally got out on my little pony again after a good 8 month hiatus.  (Good thing I don't actually have a horse.  It would die of neglect for sure).  Very fun!  I wiped out a couple of times but thanks to my new safety duds (padded jacket, elbow pads, knee pads), and a little luck, the bike and I emerged unscathed both times.  I didn't even get that pissed (except when the bike fell on me at the end of the ride trying to put it back in the truck).  I found a new area to ride with some very technical (for me) double track powerline roads.  The one time I wiped out I was surprised by a deeply rutted wash and, in trying to slow down, I grabbed too much front brake and slid out.  The other time, I was trying to negotiate a loose, off-camber hill climb and failed.  Luckily the bike started right back up both times and I didn't have to hike out for like 2 hrs to the truck!

At the end of the ride the ominous clouds moved in and unleashed a full on snow storm.  Riding through pinyon and juniper at 7000' made for a very cool experience.   
*this was not where I fell btw.  I'm not that bad.

These next two pics are from a hike LeAnna and I took right before Mom and Dad came out, so about three weeks ago.  It's just out at Potosi, literally around the corner from our house.  We're constantly amazed by the landscape right out the back door so to speak.  

Finally, a couple of shots of Mom and Dad's last night in Vegas before heading back.  We had such a great week it was hard to see it end.  The only thing that could have made it better is if LeAnna had some days off and felt a little better.  That night we cooked out on the grill and sat outside as a windy front moved in.  Such a nice evening!

The next adventure starts tomorrow when I leave for an offshore platform in the Gulf of Mexico for some rope access inspection work.  It's called the Jim Day and you can check it out here.  Be back in a week or two.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

K said...

That looks great, Adam. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the dirt bike, but it looks like fun. Your back yard looks awesome. If I ever get ahead of my bills and have a week off, I'd love to come out. Good luck in the Gulf. I know you think of it as just a job, but I think it's pretty cool that you get to go all these places and do all sorts of different stuff.

Ian said...

man o man, i wish i had the luxury of falling off of my motorcycle and not hurting myself. you suit looks awesome. i just bought a new helmet, the AGV K4 (in the states it is called a K3). matte black, lite and a snug fit, i love it. wish you were coming at easter. talk to you soon.

Karen and Pat said...

So, it seems like ages since we were sitting at that table having dinner together not just a couple of weeks! I've had you and LeAnna on my mind all week. I hope all is well out there in the middle of the Gulf and LeAnna, I managed to make it through the week without calling to ask if you feel better, but I sure hope you do. Love ya, Mom