Monday, May 10, 2010

Desert Life

The spring bloom is in full effect now and the transformation has been incredible.  The desert has gone from completely brown to a fuzzy greenish brown!  These wildflower photos are from the loop trail around Blue Diamond.

A natural bouquet.





















I discovered this expectant mother on the underside of a cool looking piece of cholla "driftwood".


These next few are of Jody and LeAnna climbing a cool 5.11c called Sonic Youth at the Sandstone Quarry in Red Rock.







On Friday of last week, my friend Ben and I drove up to Mt. Charleston for some early season climbing at 8000'.  It was a bit cold still for climbing but on the way up we saw this girl (or guy?) on her way across the road.  We stopped and gave her a hand.  This is only the second desert tortoise I've ever seen! Then LeAnna saw one the next day along the road to the Desert National Wildlife Reserve in the Sheep Range.  They must be on the move after hibernating?









Ben wonders, "Whose dome is shinier?"


And finally, yesterday while out guiding I got to see one of these guys!  Unfortunately this is NOT my photo!  I was showing my client how to place cams in a crack and this guy was squeezed all the way in the back.  So cool!  It's a banded gecko.  This particular subspecies is the desert banded gecko.  They're very tiny, maybe 3 inches, but now that I know they're out there I'll keep my eyes peeled.  

3 comments:

K said...

Very nice pictures. I like that poppy(?) above the rock with the shallow depth of focus. The tortuga and lizard are awesome, too. I've also seen some cool "nature" lately, but then I ate it.

LeAnna said...

these pictures are awesome!

Karen and Pat said...

You may have your pictures for your next calendar! That gecko is awesome - it must be related to the fat tail living in my classroom. I sure hope I get out to see the desert in bloom. Your pictures are beautiful! Love you