Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hey all ye readers and picture lookers, thought I'd update you with the highlights of the past month or so...  in random order...

- I am still in Redding California, our fire is out but we're waiting to get reassigned someplace new, preferably somewhere that is actively burning...
- I am participating in a mustache growing contest... and it doesn't look like I'll be winning.  (Deadline is Aug. 1st at which time I will upload the contestants' photos and (un)official ranking.)
- Books I've read recently:
   - No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy (very good, very good dialogue)
   - Genghis Khan by someone i can't recall (very interesting and learned a lot but not the best writing)
   - The Inheritance of Loss by who knows (also very good, tragic but humorous)
- Books I started and abandoned recently
   - Watership Down by I forget (it's a 400 page children's story about rabbits)
   - some historical fiction novel about sailing (this involved way too many terms I didn't understand having to do with parts of a sailing ship)
- Matt and I are the boccie rock champions as of yesterday.  This is a game similar to boccie (sp?) ball except using rocks instead of balls; it requires great skill and cunning and is not recommended for amateurs
- I guess I didn't need this line cause that about wraps up my news.
 

No comments: